17 September, 2008

Florida Trip

Photobucket
We took a family trip by plane, for the first time! The last time I flew (1991), I hated it, had a very anxious flight, and swore "never again". Well, this time was much, much better, I'm happy to report. :D We flew to Toronto, then another flight from Toronto to Orlando; 2 more flights to get home. 4 take-offs! That's the part I hate the most. It helped that I hardly looked out the window at all.

The only bad part about the flying was that my DD, Amy, threw up once on the way to Orlando, and we both hurled on the return flight from Toronto. There was lots of turbulence, courtesy of remnants of Hurricane Ike. Amy and I were in the back seat (bad idea!) of a smallish plane, having a regular old Barf-fest. It was a Ralph-O-Rama. It was Puke-a-palooza! Oy! When that flight landed, it did a big skid to one side (it felt big, anyways) due to the wind and rain. Amy shouted out "What was THAT?!!" (muffled by barf-bag). Poor baby! She bounced back quickly, and was soon chatting happily. I took a day or two longer to recover. :D
Photobucket
We visited 6 of the Disney parks, and Seaworld. Seaworld was very special, because Amy was selected to play a small part in the show! Her photo was on a huge screen and the trainer asked her some questions over the microphone, then gave her a whale-tail necklace. Afterward, she kept saying "I can't believe I was part of the show!" The Seaworld staff were wonderful to her, and the experience made our whole trip something really special. Amy did a great job coping with all those people looking at her, which is usually very difficult for her.

We were on the go from morning until the parks closed each day. I carried my knitting with me everywhere, but there was very little knitting taking place. I was the one KIP (knitting in public) in Tomorrowland, which made me smile, thinking that no matter how much technology there is, there will always be knitting. Alas, no photos of this momentous event. ;)

I loved the "Small World" and the "Haunted House" rides at the Magic Kingdom, and the fireworks were fantastic. We were all thrilled to ride the Monorail.

This was my first visit to anywhere in the U.S., and I found it very interesting. There were many differences that I didn't expect, like being able to buy all the groceries we needed at Wal-Mart - even wine! And Peaches & Cream yarn, on a cone even! (I had only read of such a thing, previously.) On the highways, there were lanes, get this, For Making U-turns! Here, all products have writing in English, French, and now Spanish; the products I saw in the U.S. had English and Spanish. I wish I could remember more of the things that amazed me!Photobucket
Photobucket

2 comments:

Jules said...

You & I sound like the same kind of traveler.;)heh

Jules said...

I nominated your blog for an award:) See my blog post for details: http://pearlsandjulesofwisdom.blogspot.com/